I love thick, juicy steaks.
This is not a post about a thick, juicy steak.
I love butter.
This is not a post about butter.
I love pasta.
This is not a post about pasta.
But I really, really, really love pasta.
This is still not a post about pasta.
I like fish. And veggies.
Okay, this is a post about fish and veggies.
While I love to travel, I love being home more; in our sweet house, with my second-best-thing-that’s-ever-happened-to-me kitchen and not one, but, count em, THREE Whole Foods within a five-minute drive from us.
Since I had just come back from a trip where I approached every meal as if I were on death row, I have been trying to make smarter food choices now that I am cooking again. And what is a smarter choice than steamed fish and veggies?
This is my go-to recipe for a quick, easy and healthy fish dinner for two:
Recipe: Serves 2
- Two 6 – 8 oz pieces of a firm white fish. I like cod for this.
- Half a yellow bell pepper. Seeded and sliced into strips.
- Half a green zucchini. Sliced into 1/4″ half-moons.
- Half a pint of cherry tomatoes; sliced in half length-wise.
- Large handful of sugar/snap peas. I trim and leave whole.
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1.5 tablespoons of a light wine.
- 1.5 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees (F)
- Prepare your foil packets. 2 pieces each of parchment paper and foil. Put the parchment paper on top of the foil.
- Wash the fish under cold running water and pat dry.
- Divide the vegetables among the two prepared parchment/foil packets.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the fish and place on top of vegetable piles.
- Divide the wine, lemon juice and olive oil and sprinkle on top of the fish and veggies.
- Fold the parchment/foil up to form a sealed packet. Make sure the seams are tightly closed so steam won’t escape but that the inside has room for the steam to build up.
- Place both packages on a backing sheet and bake (middle center shelf) for 18 – 20 min until the fish is firm and opaque and flakes when prodded with a fork.
- Remove the fish/veg from the packet by holding the sides of the parchment paper and lifting out of the foil. There will be lots of yummy liquid so you’ll want to serve it inside its little parchment bed. (Be careful opening the packets as the steam could burn.)